Develop a 3-4 page plan to identify the causes of organizational conflict, explain how conflict affects an organization, and select a conflict resolution style to use. Explain conflict negotiation strategies and determine the likely outcomes.
Disagreements occur because we have differences of opinions, values, and goals. Solutions to disagreements require negotiation skills. While negotiating, the parties involved have to “generate options, brainstorm ideas, give and take, and attempt to get their mutual goals met” (Hocker & Wilmot, 2014, p. 249).
Need assignment help for this question?
If you need assistance with writing your essay, we are ready to help you!
Why Choose Us: Cost-efficiency, Plagiarism free, Money Back Guarantee, On-time Delivery, Total Сonfidentiality, 24/7 Support, 100% originality
Hocker, J., & Wilmot, W. (2014). Interpersonal conflict (9th ed.). McGraw-Hill.
Demonstration of Proficiency
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Identify variables within an organizational structure that can promote conflict.
- Identify the factors responsible for conflict within an organization.
- Competency 3: Apply appropriate strategies to reduce or resolve conflicts.
- Describe a conflict resolution style appropriate for a conflict situation within an organization.
- Explain conflict negotiation strategies appropriate for a conflict situation within an organization.
- Competency 4: Analyze the impact of conflict on relationship building in face-to-face, virtual, cyber, and group communication.
- Explain how conflict affects an organization.
- Competency 5: Evaluate the outcome of proposed strategies of conflict resolution.
- Determine the outcomes of conflict negotiation strategies for an organization.
- Competency 6: Communicate effectively in a variety of formats.
- Write coherently to support a central idea in appropriate APA format with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics.
Use the Capella library and the Internet to research conflict negotiation strategies and conflict resolution styles. Find at least three resources to use in this assessment to support your plan.
You volunteer with an organization whose executive leadership has conflicted for almost a year in deep, fairly public ways, on a variety of topics. At first the conflict seemed to center on the types of events the organization sponsored, but more recently some members of the leadership team have been making accusations of bias based on race, culture, social status, and religion against other leadership members, including the director. The conflict is making it difficult for anyone to continue working with the organization.
The leadership team is composed of seven members. Six of the members, including the director, are women. There are two African-American members, including the only man on the team. There is one Hispanic member. The other four members, including the director, are Caucasian.
You have successfully handled small conflicts among the volunteers and staff in the past, and now they have asked you to step in and see if you can help resolve the conflict before it destroys the organization. Leadership has already agreed to bring you in to try and help the situation, but you know you need to have a solid plan for this undertaking.
Include the following in your conflict resolution plan:
- Identify the factors that may be responsible for causing the conflict.
- Explain how the conflict is affecting the rest of the organization.
- Describe the conflict resolution style you will use in this situation.
- Explain the conflict negotiation strategies you will try.
- Based on your chosen strategies, determine the likely outcome.
To facilitate the evaluation of your plan, format your plan according to APA guidelines.
- Submit 3â€“4 typed, double-spaced pages, not including title and reference pages.
- Use 12-point, Times New Roman font.
- Include a title page and reference page.
- Cite at least three current scholarly or professional resources.
It is recommended that you include this assessment in your ePortfolio. This assessment should illustrate your progress in areas of knowledge related to all the topics presented in this course.
Portfolio Prompt: You may choose to save this learning activity to your ePortfolio.