Review the Institute of Medicine’s 2010 report “The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health.” Write a 750‐1,000 word paper discussing the influence of the IOM report on nursing practice. Include the following:
- Summarize the four messages outlined in the IOM report and explain why these are significant to nursing practice.
- Discuss the direct influence the IOM report has on nursing education and nursing leadership. Describe the benefits and opportunities for BSN‐prepared nurses.
- Explain why it is important that a nurse’s role and education evolve to meet the needs of an aging and increasingly diverse population.
- Discuss the significance of professional development, or lifelong learning, and its relevance in caring for diverse populations across the life span and within the health‐illness continuum.
- Discuss how nurses can assist in effectively managing patient care within an evolving health care system.
You are required to cite a minimum of three sources to complete this assignment. Sources must be appropriate for the assignment and relevant to nursing practice.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion. Rubric
IOM Summary of Four Messages and Significance to Nursing Practice
Nurses can provide individualized care to their patients. This practice improves the relationship between patients and nurses and can be achieved by calling patients using their names and allowing them to share their life stories. This helps the nurse connect with the patient and help them on their way to better health. Nurses should also show compassion to their patients by allowing them to share their experiences and helping them maintain their independence while receiving patient care. Finally, nurses may advance their education to become updated on the latest research hence providing patients with quality patient care services.