As school districts across the nation address societal demands and legislative mandates to prepare a workforce for the 2lst century, school leaders find themselves working to change curriculum within their schools. To achieve this challenging, sometimes controversial task of curriculum alignment and revision, school leaders must work with diverse constituencies to achieve the best balance of needs, desires, appropriate assessment, and instruction.Achieving effective curriculum revision, therefore, requires a thorough understanding of the processes and principles of the changing paradigms affecting curriculum development.
Curriculum development is viewed as occurring on a variety of levels beginning with the classroom and moving through a spectrum to include national and international sectors. Each level in ascending order exercises authority over preceding levels. Sectors are distinguished from levels because sectors have no or limited power over the five levels. Forces outside of schools also influence curriculum decision making.
Identify & describe a curriculum revision that has taken place in your organization/school/district in the last 5 years. Based on your readings regarding the curriculum change process, address the following questions in your discussion.
- Reference against the 5 levels mentioned in the Gordon, et al pp.50-60.
- 1. What determined the “success” of the curriculum revision processes?
- 2. Were there specific factors that had a significant impact on whether or not the revision project was successful?
- 3. What views did teachers have on the process of curriculum revision processes?
- 4. How did teacher attitudes and/or backgrounds have an impact on the success or failure of curriculum revision procedures?
- 5. How did the revision procedures have an influence on its success or failure?
- 6. What effect, if any, did pre-service training have on the revision process?
- 7. What is your opinion about the effectiveness of the process? What would you have done differently ( if anything) to influence the outcome?
My wife is a elementary school teacher in Harrison County School District in gulfport, MS
Requirements: 2 pages
The revision procedures helped in meeting the goals of the program. The Harrison County School District had developed a detailed procedure that was followed in the implementation of the program. Within the program development, the School District had also developed the language acquisition proficiency levels, which would enable teachers and schools to monitor the progress of the students (Harrison County School District, 2019). Before the implementation of the program, the Harrison County School District had done professional development that continues to be done even now to build the competency and professionalism of the staff members who serve the EL students. The pre-service training played a significant role in instilling the required attitude and skills into the staff members to enable them achieve success (Sildus, Vanderbeck, & Broxterman, 2018). Lead teachers and principals are equipped with the right skills the start of every academic year. They are also provided the opportunity to provide feedback on the progress of the previous year’s program or recommend changes, policies, or updates on the program that can make it better.