It is important for counselors to be knowledgeable about laws specific to their state. Go to the Child Welfare Information Gateway, housed by U.S. Department of Health & Human Services.
- Select your state of practice. NEW YORK
- Select at least three topics. DEFINITIONS OF CHILD ABUSE AND NEGLECT, PARENTAL SUBSTANCE USE AS CHILD ABUSE, DETERMINING THE BEST INTERESTS OF THE CHILD.
- Click on the check boxes that relate to your counseling work within the three areas of child abuse and neglect, child welfare, and adoption.
- Click the “go” button to begin your search for your state’s statutes.
- You will be provided with the specific citations and legal reference to those areas that you identified. Also, you should note that PDF files are available that correspond to these specific areas and that provide information so you can better understand the issue across the states.
Respond to the following:
- Which topics did you choose and why?
- What did you learn about the laws in your state related to the topics you chose?
- How will this knowledge influence your work as a counselor?
requirements: Paper should be substantive, well-developed, and reflective of critical thinking and graduate-level writing. At least 2 scholarly source should be referenced. Paper should be a minimum of 700 words consisting of 2 – 3 well-formed paragraphs. APA guidelines should be followed.
Requirements: 700words min
The other selected topic is parental substance use as child abuse. I learned that the New York state laws governing child welfare regard the parental use of substances as child abuse. The use of drugs or alcoholic beverages will constitute abuse once the guardian loses self-control due to substance misuse (U.S Department of Health & Human Services, 2021). However, the absence of evidence to insinuate that alcohol and drug abuse lead to emotional, physical, and mental negligence doesn’t apply. Any institution, individual, or agency that reports abuse based on substance misuse must be consistent with these law requirements.