- Is obesity a major health issue in the United States?
- According to the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NCHS, CDC; BRFSS, 2012), how is obesity defined?
- What is your role as a community nurse?
- What risk factors should be explored for Maria’s family for cardiovascular disease? Mention social determinants of health in this case. Incorporate the concepts of health promotion and risk reduction.
- Would you apply any of the behavioral change models to address health promotion and risk reduction in this case (theoretical frameworks of behavioral change / models discussed on Chapter 5 of textbook). Describe your selection.
- Public health nurses use statistics to demonstrate the need for obesity program development and community interventions. According to the most recent CDC data: What data were identified about obesity in children and adults?
- Is there a necessity of planning a community nursing intervention? How will you do that? Will you work alone or in collaboration / teamwork? Will you look for funding? How?
- If you decide to do a community intervention. How would you evaluate the community-level intervention(s)?
- Will you use social marketing to change health behaviors or beliefs, social or cultural norms, or community standards to improve health or benefit society. Which resources will you use?
10.Mention research studies that support any of the above (1 through 9) (mention at least 3 research studies in the paper).
Requirements: minimum of 3 pages – maximum of 6 pages
To manage and prevent Obesity, advocacy is essential at the policy level in the US. However, in the community-based and health care setting, community health nurses are better positioned to advocate for families, communities, and individuals in implementing evidence-based activities that aim to minimize excessive weight gain and Obesity. Furthermore, the community health nurse can advocate at schools, public policy levels, and the local community. Moreover, the nurse identifies the attitude and the main concerns of the American population towards Obesity. The nurses conduct a comprehensive study on the incidences of Obesity, causes, and the health care cost of Obesity in the US. The other key role of nurses is providing related information about obesity management to individuals (Cominato et al., 2018). Lastly, the nurses are excellent in teaching young people about physical exercise and nutrition as techniques to keep the body fit.