Strategic Analysis and Operational Considerations
For the Strategic Analysis and Operational Considerations assessment, you will create a 5-7-page environmental analysis for the fictional St. Antony Main Medical Center. Also, as part of your submission you will address the importance of creating a strategic framework to help the organization address the results of the analysis.
Success in strategic planning requires an understanding of the organization, the environment in which it operates, its resources, competitors, vision and mission, and its capabilities on a day-to-day basis. How does one gain this understanding? Strategic thinkers evaluate changing environments, analyze data, questions expectations, and develop new ideas (Ginter, Duncan, & Swayne, 2013). Understanding and analyzing the situation requires analyzing the environments in which the organization exists and developing or refining the organization’s strategy (Ginter, Duncan, & Swayne, 2013). Various techniques and analyzes are conducted to identify these important considerations.
Engaging in the strategic planning process requires leaders to be aware of their organization’s internal operations as well as the external environment in which it operates. Various tools exist to aid organizations in the strategic planning process. The strength, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats (SWOT) analysis is a common tool utilized to conduct an environmental analysis. An additional tool is Porter’s five forces model. This framework is utilized to examine the competition the organization faces in the environment in which they operate (Healey & Marchese, 2012). Other tools include mind maps and balanced scorecards. Data obtained via these analyzes and examinations will guide the organization in determining what it wants to do and what it is capable of doing (White, 2012).
Need assignment help for this question?
If you need assistance with writing your essay, we are ready to help you!
Why Choose Us: Cost-efficiency, Plagiarism free, Money Back Guarantee, On-time Delivery, Total Сonfidentiality, 24/7 Support, 100% originality
Ginter, P. M., Duncan, W. J., & Swayne, L. E. (2013). Strategic management of health care organizations (7th ed.). San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
Healey, B. J., & Marchese, M. C. (2012). Foundations of health care management: Principles and methods. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
White, S. V. (2012). Essential resources for the healthcare quality professional: Quality and performance improvement. Glenview, IL: National Association for Health Care Quality.
Demonstration of Proficiency
- Competency 1: Apply theories and best practices in strategic leadership to drive improvements for health care systems.
- Analyze the internal, general, and external environment within which an organization operates.
- Discuss implications for the organizationâ€™s future if strategic frameworks are not utilized.
- Competency 2: Apply theories and best practices in human resource and workforce management to solve organizational issues in health care systems.
- Analyze the impact and importance of understanding competition within the health industry as it applies to strategic planning.
- Examine strategic frameworks of health care organizations.
- Competency 4: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and respectful of the diversity, dignity, and integrity of others and is consistent with health care professionals.
- Demonstrate effective communication through writing and proper use of APA style.
- Communicate in a professional and effective manner by writing content clearly and logically, with correct use of grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
This assessment is based around the Vila Health: Strategic Analysis and Operational Considerations media simulation. Be sure you have completed this activity before completing this assessment.
You may also find it useful to research on strategic planning, Porter’s five forces model, environmental scanning, and strategic frameworks beyond the resources provided.
In addition to the scenario presented in the Vila Health: Strategic Analysis and Operational, incorporate the following change in the organization’s environment when creating your analysis for this assessment:
- A new for-profit 50-bed acute care hospital is slated to open in the next eight months, offering a full complement of services.
The goal of this assessment is to create a succinct and thorough analysis of the internal and external environment for St. Antony Medical Center. This report should help stakeholders understand the importance of understanding the environment in which the organization operates. Additionally, it should clearly lay out an analysis of the internal and external environments and apply one or more strategic frameworks to analyze the environment and raise operational considerations.
This assessment has two distinct parts:
- Part 1: Understanding the Environment
- Part 2: Organizational Analysis
When completing your assessment, read the instructions carefully to make sure you are addressing all the scoring guide criteria.
Part 1: Understanding the Environment
For this part of your assessment, the focus should be on providing a brief analysis of the ways in which competition within the health care industry effects and should be incorporated into strategic planning. As part of your analysis you should consider the types of evidence and analysis that would be compelling to the stakeholders at St. Anthony Medical Center to ensure that they are onboard and understand the importance at considering the competition in the environment when undertaking strategic planning. This relates to both internal and external factors.
As you create this part of your assessment, it may be helpful to think about these areas and aspects of an organization that compete for time, attention, and resources:
- External competition.
- Organizational Capacity.
Part 2: Organizational Analysis
For the second part of your assessment, you will present an environmental analysis for the organization. Additionally, you will discuss one or more strategic frameworks (for example, a SWOT analysis) and apply it to the scenario presented in the media simulation. Finally, you will create a compelling argument as to the need for utilizing a strategic framework and the potential implications for the organization’s future if nothing is employed.
It may be useful to apply Porterâ€™s Five Forces of Competitive Position Analysis when conducting and communicating your analysis.
- Structure: Include a title page, table of contents, and reference page.
- Length: 5â€“7 pages.
- References: Cite at least three current scholarly or professional resources.
- Format: Use APA style for references and citations.
- You may wish to refer to the following APA resources to help with your structure, formatting, and style:
- Font: Times New Roman font, 12 point, double-spaced.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!