Familiarize yourself with your state’s credentialing requirements, and fill in the provided worksheet with state, education, and other requirements.
Explore what addiction really is, who addiction impacts, what addiction looks like, and when it becomes a problem.
Review the following:
- NASADAD. (2013). State regulations on substance use disorder programs and counselors: An overview [PDF]. https://nasadad.org/
- Familiarize yourself with your state’s criteria to become a substance use counselor.
- Find your state’s credentialing website using Table 1, “Overview of Agencies Responsible for Program Licensure,” pages 9–12.
- Go to your state’s website and locate the license or certification available for professionals with a bachelor’s degree or lower.
- Roadmap to an Addiction Professional Career [DOCX].
- Use this worksheet to complete this assessment.
In the Roadmap to an Addiction Professional Career [DOCX] worksheet, fill in the tables completely in each of the following sections:
- State Specifics Overview.
- Education Requirements Overview.
- Other Requirements Overview.
- Final Thoughts.
Your completed worksheet should meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- References: Support your state’s requirements with information from your state credentialing website.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to APA style and formatting. See the Evidence and APA section of the Writing Center for guidance.
- Length: Fill in each space in the tables. Complete the assessment in complete sentences, not in lists or bullet points.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and scoring guide criteria:
- Competency 4: Apply research findings from scholarly literature to current issues in the field of addiction.
- Describe state requirements.
- Describe education requirements.
- Describe other requirements.
- Summarize the requirements to be a substance use professional in their state.
- Competency 5: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly and consistent with expectations for professionals in the field of addiction.
- Cite sources using author and year, and provide some reference information required in APA style.
- Communicate clearly with appropriate purpose, organization, tone, and sentence structure with some errors.
Requirements: 1 worksheet
The State of Minnesota also clarifies licensure requirements (reciprocity applications) for those licensed in other jurisdictions for less than five years and more than five years. For the board to issue a license under the reciprocity applications, it must ascertain that the requirements the applicant met to obtain the credential are similar to the current requirement for licensure (Minnesota Board of Behavioral Health and Therapy, n.d). However, the reciprocity applications must be reviewed on a case-by-case basis since there are different requirements at different times.