As a manager on a medical surgical unit, part of the job responsibility includes chart audits.
A trend noted during the most recent audit was the overuse of the term “dementia.” The nurse manager notes that there may be a lack of understanding between the types dementia as related to neurological diseases.
The nurse manager developed a survey to evaluate the staff’s understanding of the different types of dementia. As a result of the survey, you have been asked to create a PowerPoint presentation to increase the nurse’s awareness of the types of dementia a presentation was created.
Choose one of the following topics for a focused presentation:
- Vascular Dementia
The presentation should include the following:
- Etiology & incidence
- Health promotion and maintenance
- History/Risk factors
- Physical signs and symptoms
- Changes in cognition
- Changes in behavior & personality
- Changes in self-management skills
- Diagnostics: laboratory and imaging assessment
- Planning and implementation
- Interprofessional Collaborative Care
- Psychosocial integrity
- Safety considerations
Using Ignatavicius and one additional resource, develop a presentation to enhance the nurses’ knowledge of the differences between types of dementia and delirium. Be sure to document your source(s) in your presentation.
Requirements: As much as possible
- Other risk factors for Alzheimer’s include untreated depression, social isolation and loneliness, and a sedentary lifestyle.
- The disease’s main symptom is memory loss, where someone cannot remember their past events.
- People with Alzheimer’s experience difficulties thinking and reasoning, especially about simple things like date of birth, while others have difficulties multitasking.
- Others get a hard time making reasonable decisions in everyday situations.
[Slide 5 of 14]