- Watch the video and/or read the transcript of the “I Have A Dream” speech by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., delivered August 28, 1963. https://www.americanrhetoric.
Write a 1 – 2-page paper analyzing the civil rights movement and its effect on civil rights in the United States today. Be sure to include the following:
- Briefly describe whose civil rights Martin Luther King Jr. was working to promote and protect.
- Identify two of the tactics that Dr. King used to promote civil rights.
- Identify one group or issue in American society where the need to promote civil rights is still relevant.
- Give a brief explanation of the discrimination that you believe still exists with respect to this issue or group.
The link for the I have a dream speech is there.
Requirements: 1 page
In response to police brutality, there is still discrimination against the LGBT community and people of color. Based on research, many LGBTQ people avoid calling the police even when needed, as they will be discriminated against because of their orientation. Only 5% of white LGBTQ people have reported police discrimination out of a hundred. 60% of black Americans have more than once been unfairly stopped or treated by the police because they are black (Bleich, Findling, Casey, Blendon, Benson, et al., 2019). Discrimination is still a significant issue in American history, and it will take time to end.