This assignment will highlight the role of urban social work in addressing the impact and implications associated with the COVID-19 health pandemic in the urban community. Student should identify a specific population within the urban setting.
- The prevalence of COVID-19 in Baltimore City
- Description of the selected population
- Identify the system or institution impacted as it relates to the specified population
- Describe the role of the urban social worker in addressing the problem
- Identify the social work skills required to effectively serve as a change agent
System or Institution Impacted As It Relates to the Specified Population
Considering that enhancing health and safety is crucial in social service, the Baltimore City Health Department (BCHD) and Maryland Department of Health (MDH) have been affected. These government systems have been impacted by the high infection rates, requiring the authorities to inject funds to assist the disadvantaged groups. The leaders developed emergency funding to promote health and safety and offer relief to vulnerable groups such as Hispanics (MDH, 2020). Other measures taken were hiring social workers to provide public education, social services and encourage testing. These efforts have been demanding, but they are worthwhile in promoting health and safety.