Select an advertisement, news video, or music video. Write an approximately three page, double-spaced analysis of the artifact using discourse sociological concepts identified in the class.
Things to consider: does the artifact show alienation, anomie, bureaucracy, socioeconomic class, culture, deviance, elites, marginalization, mass society, stereotypes, socialization, status, etc?
A. Introduction: What, Why, How …
- Briefly describe the topic/ media artifacts.
- Explain why the particular topic is significant to your reader.
- Tell your audience how you will provide evidence or demonstrate an analysis of the media artifact—preview the points of the paper.
B. Body of evidence: Describe the media artifact and explain what the audience should notice.
- Provide a brief, denotative description of what the artifact is about.
- Begin the analysis by identifying the strategies used– for example, describe the scene in the news video that illustrates social class differences. Try to give two scenes or examples to illustrate each concept
- Follow the instructions in B2 for at least two more concepts from the sociological analysis chapter.
- Discuss the implications for readers/viewers and return to two questions from Masterman: What intention or goal of the creator is being fulfilled by this artifact?: who’s interests are being served? Why?: and what effect would this have on society if we bought into the message offered?
C. Conclusion: State how your analysis provides new insight about the media subject:
- Remind the audience why the media is important (as stated in your introduction).
- Review your points
- Finally, explain how your analysis provides new insight, reveals assumptions, or unintended meanings represented by the selected articles.
Requirements: Looking for a more in-depth guide with all the details.
This music video implies that life can change in a matter of time. It only depends on where one wants to be and their dedication. People should see love and energy in the video and not an American rapper dancing with ghetto kids (Gruda, 2019). The artifact intended to show people that everyone matters regardless of their culture, social class, or race. Sometimes we get caught up in the box that we forget to look at and see what’s going on in the world. If society can take the message offered, then material things could not matter as happiness is a choice. When one watches the video keenly, all they can see is love.