After studying Module 6: Lecture Materials & Resources, discuss the following:
Hyde Pfiefer, a retired 70-year-old German American, has lived in the United States for the last 50 years. A widower of 5 years, Mr. Pfiefer prepares his own meals following his wife’s recipes from the old country. Nine months ago, Mr. Pfiefer was told that his cholesterol is elevated, and he was instructed about a low-fat diet. His most recent test results show his values to be unchanged.
- Discuss the meaning of food in the German culture.
- Using the predominant health beliefs of people of German ancestry, how might you help Mr. Pfiefer reduce his cholesterol level?
- Your initial post should be at least 500 words, formatted and cited in current APA style with support from at least 2 academic sources. Your initial post is worth 8 points.
- You should respond to at least two of your peers by extending, refuting/correcting, or adding additional nuance to their posts. Your reply posts are worth 2 points (1 point per response.)
- All replies must be constructive and use literature where possible.
- Please post your initial response by 11:59 PM ET Thursday, and comment on the posts of two classmates by 11:59 PM ET Sunday.
German cuisine is typically cooked with butter sauce, margarine, lard, or even bacon fat. Mr. Pfiefer did the same with his food when he halted a nutritional risk. High fat intake raises cholesterol (Stefan, 2020). The healthcare professional thus advised Mr. Pfiefer to follow a low-fat diet. To make sure that the cholesterol levels were drastically decreased, he was required to be monitored and have the contents in his food thoroughly assessed. I would particularly pick a food type that Mr. Pfiefer would utilize and advise as a healthcare professional. This food selection would focus on avoiding unhealthy food routines and selecting foods that guarantee a decrease in fat intake. Additionally, some American foods are low in fat; because acculturation is acceptable, I highly advise him to consider information about American cuisine.