- Select and describe an Advanced Nurse Practitioner role.
- Why are you becoming a Nurse Practitioner?
- Find one research article, expert opinion about the Nurse Practitioner role and summarize the article.
- What does the Institute Of Medicine (IOM) say about the need of Nurse Practitioners?
- Identify and describe the effects that you will have as an advanced practice nurse in terms of healthcare industry and patient outcomes.
- The paper is to be clear and concise and students will lose points for improper grammar, punctuation and misspelling.
- The paper is to be no shorter than 4 pages; nor longer than 5 pages in length, excluding the title, abstract and references page.
- Incorporate a minimum of 5 current (published within last five years) scholarly journal articles or primary legal sources (statutes, court opinions) within your work. Journal articles and books should be referenced according to current APA style.
The demand for primary care will continue rising as the population grows and ages. Ensuring that the medical needs of the increasing and aging patient population are vital. According to Poghosyan et al. (2017), doing this reduces suffering and health care costs, considering individuals will not have to seek costly emergency care or get hospitalized. Poghosyan et al. (2017) further argue that nurse practitioners can help reduce the immense burden imposed on the health care system by the rising and aging patient population. Nurse practitioners are typically registered nurses who undertake similar functions as physicians. Furthermore, NPs are often engaged in the pursuit of continuing education into the post-graduate level of nursing practice. According to Poghosyan et al. (2017), NPs predominantly work in collaborative practice with physicians, fulfilling a complementary role to the conventional medical care provided by physicians. NPs have always been involved in the delivery of primary care. This role first came into existence in 1960 to enhance children’s access to care.