This assignment comes in 2 sections.
Part 1: Leader vs Manager
Based on your reading and personal experience, share your perception of 3 attributes of a leader and 3 attributes of a manager. Based on your experience, have your direct supervisors been leaders, manager or both? Provide examples to support your assessment.
Submission Instructions: Your initial post should be at least 500 words, formatted and cited in current APA style with support from at least 2 academic sources
To assess own leadership skills:
- Analysis of leadership’s skills using Foundation of Nursing Leadership – What is your leadership style (Links to an external site.) the results of the quiz in this link is attached as a word document, use it as a guide for leadership style
- Identification of strengths and opportunities for improvement based on self-assessment.
- Action plan to address self-assessment capitalizing on strengths and addressing opportunities for improvement.
- The paper is to be clear and concise, and students will lose points for improper grammar, punctuation and misspelling.
- The paper is to be 2 – 3 pages in length, excluding the title, abstract and references page.
- Incorporate a minimum of 2 current (published within last five years) scholarly journal articles or primary legal sources (statutes, court opinions) within your work.
- Journal articles and books should be referenced according to current APA style (the library has a copy of the APA Manual).
- Your paper should be formatted per current APA and references should be current (published within last five years) scholarly journal articles or primary legal sources (statutes, court opinions)
Material to be used:
- Yoder-Wise, P. S. (2015). Leading and Managing in Nursing (6th ed.). Mosby, an imprint of Elsevier.
- Chapters 1 – 4, 10, & 28 – 29
- Aonl.org. (2021). AONL nurse leader competencies. Nurse Leaders | AONL. https://www.aonl.org/
- American Psychological Association. (2020). Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (7th ed.).
- Use as a guide for writing in current APA format.
- The Role of the Nurse Manager (10:14)
AHRQ Patient Safety. (2015, April 29). CUSP: The Role of the Nurse Manager [Video file]. CUSP: The Role of the Nurse Manager (Links to an external site.)
Online Materials & Resources
- To access the following article please register on Medscape (Links to an external site.). Registration is free of charge.
Sherman, R. O. (2012). What followers want in their nurse leaders? American Nurse Today, 7(9). https://profreg.medscape.com/
- Nurse Leaders (Links to an external site.)
American Organization for Nursing Leadership. (2021). Nurse leaders. https://www.aonl.org/
- Visit the CINAHL Complete under the A-to-Z Databases on the University Library’s website and locate/read the articles below:
- McSherry, R. (2012). The pivotal role of nurse managers, leaders and educators in enabling excellence in nursing care. Journal of Nursing Management, 20(1), 7-19.
- Young, J. (2015). Leading nursing into the future: Development of a strategic nursing platform on a system level. Nursing Administration Quarterly, 39(3), 239-246.
- Thomas-Hawkins, C., Flynn, L., Lindgren, T. G., & Weaver, S. (2015). Nurse manager safety practices in outpatient hemodialysis units. Journal of Nephrology Nursing, 42(2), 125-133, 134, 147. 2.
- Bjarnasom, D., & LaSala, C. A. (2011). Moral leadership. Journal of Radiology Nursing, 30(1), 18-24.
- Allen, D. (2016). The importance, challenges and prospects of taking work practices into account for health care quality improvement: Nursing work and patient status at a glance. Journal of Health Organization and Management, 30(4), 99-108.
Requirements: as instructed
for the first part is 500 words minimum APA style. for the second part number one, there is a link for a survey, I tooked and the results are in the word documend attached
this professor is very exigent with formatting an apa and the second part is longer than the first one. here you will need 2-3 pages in lenght, excluding the title, abstract and the references page
I need part one with the 500 words and references in the following page and part two as specified in the instructions
The contemporary work environment is characterized by the presence of colleagues from diverse cultural backgrounds (Heinen et al., 2019). Due to this, failure to recognize and understand these cultural differences can adversely affect my leadership. To prevent this from happening, I will have to interact with people from different cultures. Doing this with an open mind will allow me to improve my cultural competency, increasing my effectiveness when leading a diverse team (Heinen et al., 2019). Another improvement area deals with becoming an effective role model. Leaders are expected to serve as examples to their followers through their words and actions. By doing this, a leader can inspire and motivate their followers to behave in the manner a leader would like them to (Heinen et al., 2019). The best way to make improvements will be to interact with experienced and successful leaders. Doing this will enable me to understand the nuances of what is required to set an example for my team members.